BENEFITS OF AERIAL YOGA / FITNESS
1. Increased pose access and improved balance: The hammock unloads some or all of your weight, qualifying it as an inclusive prop for any ability; and it increases pose access when full weight bearing on certain joints is contraindicated or uncomfortable. The hammock is also used as a support prop in a balance pose and in navigating a safe approach to gradually building strength and balance.
2. Improved alignment and pain relief: When inverted, the combination of the hammock and gravity can allow therapeutic respite from spinal compression and a chance at relief to those experiencing back pain. While being inverted isn’t medically appropriate for everyone, Modified or gentle use of the hammock as the prop generally is, no matter the ability level.
3. Encourages body awareness, focus and a meditative practice: The mobility of the hammock and change in spatial orientation of poses encourages individuals to focus on the present moment. When taking a pose in an aerial yoga hammock, one might find it difficult to allow the mind to wander as the aerial version of the pose raises the requisite of focus, balance, coordination and recalibration of the body positioning.
4. Increases flexibility and joint mobility.
5. Inspires positive life changes: There are students who struggle with the perceived vulnerability of letting go and placing full trust into the hammock. But such effort is the work of life. Opening to the experience in yoga class can teach the ability to access an even keel and steady breath if life.
6. Calms the nervous system and offers support: The hammock has a profound calming effect on the nervous system. The suspension offers the option to gently rock while the fabric provides soothing compression to the skin, which stimulates circulation and encourages the relaxation response of the parasympathetic nervous system. Lying within the welcoming fold of the hammock, one is able to rest in full awareness on the sensory delight of the experience. You are literally lifted upward, held close, and fully accepted amidst free space for flight.
Enjoy your Aerial Experience!
How to avoid nausea/dizziness...
Don't eat heavy meal within 2 hours of class time. If you are having congestion & sinus issues, consider taking a non-inversion class until your symptoms clear.
Ginger is a great anti nausea ...use candied ginger, ginger tea, etc. before or during class.
If you experience headache, extreme dizziness, or nausea during class, please let your instructor know so we can adjust your pose to alleviate symptoms.
*Be on time for class. (New Students please arrive 15 minutes early to complete paperwork)
*NO street shoes in workout area. Please leave shoes & personal items on designated shelves.
*NO SHARP JEWELRY, including rings, necklaces, bracelets, watches (remove or tape over sharp edges)
*Wear comfortable, snug fitting clothing. No zippers.
Leggings that cover thighs are best. No shorts please.
*Please use antibacterial wipes provided to clean your mat at the end of your class.
*Silence your cell phones. (if you are on call, keep your phone close to your workout space & alert instructor)
*Avoid eating heavy meal 1-2 hours before class
*If you experience dizziness, nausea, or headache during class… please let instructor know
*Feel free to bring water/drink with lid and/or towel by your workout space.
*Do NOT enter workout space until prior class dismissed.
*Children must remain in waiting area and must be old enough to sit quietly during class without supervision.
*Avoid wearing heavy perfumes, lotions to class.
*Personal Hygeine...deo, sweat
***Enjoy the journey, honor your body and limitations, and let your spirit soar!